Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Class Time

During class we discussed the mechanics of the game. The hardest part of the day came from the actual strategy. We wanted to make sure everyone in the game was not just going into random storage units and hoping they get what they wanted (which was how it was originally done). However, we decided to have stages or levels of difficulty or chance. The higher numbered storage units would have more items, which gives you a higher chance of getting something you really want (you have a list of items that you can get [if you do not get it you will not be penalized]). We also determined a list of high, medium, and easy pointed items, as well as character cards that show what those specific characters need. With the character cards we made sure to include items that other characters need as well to make the game more competitive. At the end of class, we all decided on who does what (Matt would do the cards, I would do the game board, Amanda and Jess would do the action cards). 

We also ran into a problem when it came to player income (which we determined would be used to move to each different unit). However, we did have a suggestion that suggested that any player could bid on any unit (given they have enough money). Our group also determined that we should have a trade bin where players can dump cards and pick through what is in that bin. Additionally, we were trying to come up with action cards where players can trade with each other if they wanted to (further mechanics will be discussed). 

Thursday, November 14, 2013

Continuing our game

This week we made some compelling improvements to our game. We added something to our game in order to make it more interactive. We feel that interactive games are more exciting and compelling for participants. Therefore we decided to add the option of all participants being able to bid on a "unit". One aspect that we are still struggling to decide on is how are participants able to sufficiently gain clues on what items are in each unit. So far the ways to develop clues on what is in each unit are to either land on the unit first or to discover clues through picking up action cards. One thing I suggested was to segment each group of units through regions instead of by risk and reward. My teammate Jess and I bickered over this topic, however decided that our solution to this problem would be done through play testing. Another aspect we added to the game was each participant would start out with a character card, the character card helps a player determine what items will help them gain more points. We still are struggling to find what way would be best to end the game. As of right now it will be when a player reaches a certain amount of points, but that is subject to change through play testing. One thing I am excited about is that the more comfortable our group becomes with each other, the easier it is to brain storm. I look forward to continue to develop the game Bidding Wars with my group!

Sunday, November 3, 2013

A New Start

     This week in class students gave a brief oral presentation of the board game they created, and each person voted based on which game they believed they would enjoy working on most. There were plenty of great games to choose from, and everyone seemed eager to begin working on a new game with a fresh set of ideas. After hearing everyone's proposals and writing down our top three, we had to wait to find out which we were assigned to. Finally we were told which games we would be working on, and it seemed like most students were happy with where they ended up.
     Moments later we met with out new group members, and took a few minutes to introduce ourselves to one another. The game we had all been assigned, Bidding Wars, was created by our group member Matt, so he took a few minutes to go into greater detail about the game and some other thoughts and ideas he had been developing. He also suggested that it would be helpful for everyone to read his actual proposal, so he will be sending that to all of the group members as well. We exchanged emails and phone numbers with one another to be sure proper contact can be made between the group, and every member is excited and ready to work!